Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baptism

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.


-- Matthew 3:10-12

2 comments:

Bright Butterfly said...

This one made me get my Bible out because I was sure this must be John the Baptist, but I wanted to check. (FYI other readers, it is John the Baptist).

a few notes:
1) my translation uses "Holy Spirit" in way of "Holy Ghost" -- I, personally, prefer the former
2) "the axe is laid unto the root of the trees" implies that judgment is near
3)apparently the Greek word for "carry" (my version says carry instead of bear) can also mean "remove"
4) the "fire" in this case, according to my Bible's notes, may refer to the judgment to come... but I like thinking about it in terms of the purification of the fire we talk about in Baha'i readings.
5) verse 12 is about separating the wheat (the righteous) from the chaff (the wicked)

Nikhil said...

thanks for these comments - definitely makes it much clearer! :)