Monday, May 11, 2009

The essence of faith

In this, the month of trust, let us reflect on these words below to understand what faith/trust in God really means.

"The essence of faith is fewness of words and abundance of deeds..."

-- Baha'u'llah

47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built a house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

-- Luke 6:47-49


"By faith is meant, first, conscious knowledge, and second, the practice of good deeds."

-- Abdu'l Baha

3 comments:

Amrithaa said...

The last quote especially is a powerful one, I have found. And I especially liked the explanantion you had once blogged, please post a link to it na? :)

Nikhil said...

Hmm I dont think i've blogged about it - but we might have talked about this at some point. Anyway, I will try and post some thoughts on it sometime today :) We actually had discussed this very quote last wednesday in our study circle in talking about faith...

Bright Butterfly said...

I love this parable from Luke about building your faith on the bedrock of God.