Monday, July 28, 2008

Sensitivity

This was a week of sensitivity.

Of being sensitive to the needs of others
And to my own
Of being more consciously aware of the wonderful world we live in
Of being patient - with others and myself
Of listening
Of understanding
Of observing
Of perceiving
Of forgiveness
Of giving people the space they need
Of letting them be
Of sacrifice
Of being positive
Of showing people the positive side of things
Of providing a shoulder to lean on
Of joy and cheer
Of being flexible
Of openness
Of tact
Of appreciation
Of thankfulness
Of increasing awareness of how God ever so lovingly guides us along
Of prayer
Of trying to connect to the all-pervading spirit
Of love and affection
Of being aware of all the delightful gifts and blessings God has showered upon me

This was a week of sensitivity.

3 comments:

Bright Butterfly said...

Surely you must know by know how much I love these weekly reflections on virtues. I have come to look FORWARD to Mondays because of them. ;) Thank you, dear pilgrim.

I think there are at least four levels of sensitivity, and it helps me to think about these in thinking about the multitude of ways one can cultivate sensitivity:
-Sensitivity to self
-Sensitivity to others
-Sensitivity to the world around us
-Sensitivity to God's will.

Yours, as always is a beautiful list. It has also made me more sensitive to what I might also add:

Of compassion
Of an open heart
Of depth of feeling
Of not holding back and knowing when to hold back
Of discovering the extraordinary in the ordinary
Of discerning nuances
Of listening and caring
Of vulnerability
Of putting ego aside
Of self-awareness
Of seeking beauty in all things.

Amrithaa said...

Ah! Of discerning nuance. A fine point, and a very apt one. :)

Nikhil said...

Ah, thanks for sharing those thoughts. I'm also struck by how "putting ego aside" is followed by "self-awareness" - at first glance it might seem contradictory, but a deeper inspection gives an idea of what I believe is one of the most fundamental spiritual principles.