Monday, February 9, 2009

Generosity and giving

A little overdue on these reflections, but better late than never, i suppose... So here goes...

This was a month of generosity and giving.

Of understanding that generosity is a quality of the soul, and has nothing to do with wealth
Of philanthropy
Of giving to those who are less fortunate
Of giving time to others
Of patience
Of listening
Of sharing
Of service
Of giving up and letting go
Of detachment from material possessions
Of detachment from the actions of others
Of detachment from disappointment
Of detachment from expectation
Of forgiveness
Of compassion
Of humility
Of sacrifice
Of lending a helping hand
Of understanding what it means to be a candle of light
Of understanding unconditional love
Of appreciating that which is given by others
Of recognizing the capacities in each and every one of us as gifts from God
Of being thankful for all the bounties God has given us
Of being grateful for His unconditional love and mercy that is showered upon us

This was a month of generosity and giving.

1 comment:

Bright Butterfly said...

You know, all throughout Jan. I felt like I was inadequately able to think/reflect upon generosity, even though it was our VOTM. I didn't feel like I was properly filling my heart with generosity in the ways I most wanted to. As I read this post now, I feel so heartened by this expanded definition of generosity, all that it entails, and inspired by the ways you have found to reflect upon and internalize this quality.

btw, I had no idea you'd been blogging so much in the past couple weeks! I was way behind! Thank you for so generously sharing your thoughts and the wonderful quotes you've been reading and thinking of lately.